Sunday, January 12, 2020

Channeling Havasu

 Hallo,
   Just a quick post this am - this is a small practice piece for a large carved piece that is almost finished.
   Lots of wax layers here - base is 3 layers to prime the board, then 3 layers of 7 colors of wax. The first 2 pics show all the color layers as I am starting to carve into them.
 It is meant to look like some of the streams in Havasu Arizona with pools and then the stream running down from them - the photos are upside down for the first 2.
  The third and fourth pics show when I was done with carving and added some texture to the tops of the boulders in the stream bed and then some smaller pebbles....
  The last 3 photos show the various stages of adding the water. I used clear wax with pan pastels. My first try was with encaustic only for the water but there was not enough translucence for me so I scrapped that off and did it again with the pan pastels which was a bit more translucent but for the bigger painting I went with oil sticks to color the water and am happier with how that is going. I should be done with the bigger one soon - well one or 2 more days to work on it but looking like I wont get much studio time in the next few weeks.... so eventually....
   Meanwhile I do like how this one turned out - makes me want to do a couple more but the carving is very hard on my hands so will have to see about that....
   All for today - Take Care
      Tera






No comments: