Sunday, February 12, 2023

Foggy marsh

Hallo,

    Love my weekend studio time. This is a painting I thought I finished last weekend, but all week long at work he kept talking to me, telling me he needed something more. Sometimes I really hate not being able to paint every day, it is sometimes hard to stay in the rhythm of a painting only working on the weekend. But sometimes it gives me a chance to step back and look at a painting for awhile and get a sense of what it needs.

   The first photo is were this painting ended up last weekend and I was happy but the more I looked at it... I take pics of my paintings not only in progress but at the end of my weekend in the studio and look at the photos throughout the week. I feel like it keeps me in touch with the 'flow' of my paintings in progress so I can jump in quicker when the weekend comes.

   The second photo is how this painting ended up yesterday at the end of the day and like a sigh or a big breath of fresh air, I KNOW he is now finished. Sometimes I get that feeling and sometimes I just have to look at it awhile longer.

   I darkened some areas in the sky a touch and even more in the water to 'ground' the marsh grasses. I made the fog darker/thicker too and then added some grasses back in with the hot pen. The sky, water and fog were done/colored almost totally with pan pastels(I started the painting with a white/gray/light blue encaustic base). The grasses are encaustic paint with a fine tip hot pen.

   Total all there are a ton of layers - the sky, water and fog is probable 8 to 9 layers - pan pastels, fuse, very light layer of medium and repeat. The grasses are about 10 layers total all -the fog pan pastel applications flattened the textures there a bit and then I would add more on top - several times.

   The third marsh painting is in the works....

   Take Care

        Tera

    


 

No comments: