Saturday, February 4, 2023

Irish Cottage




Hallo,
   Happy weekend!!! A bit cool here in NW Florida but sunny and not humid so I am happy. Too cool for yard work so I can catch up on some computer work with the sun shining in my window.
  I finished off this painting last weekend. It is 11 by 14 inches. I used a photo that I took back in 1998 in Ireland. I went on a horseback riding trip starting at a riding complex that was just being built up at the time northish of Shannon. We rode for 6 days and stayed at B&B's. We rode north and east and ended up riding along the cliffs of Moher - north of the more popular tourist spots.
  I used the photo as an under drawing by printing it in black and white onto tissue paper and then embedding it into the wax background that I had already layed down. (I did a smaller version - 8 by 10 - with just the window a couple weeks ago, this time I added in a thatched roof. The roof in the original picture was shingled but there were alot of thatched roofs in Ireland for me to draw inspiration from!!).
    The first 2 pics are the finished painting - under slightly different lighting condition - the top one shows the colors more accurately but the second one shows off the textures better.
   Starting with the third pic, I show the progression of the painting. I started with an off white/slightly gray background that was pretty smooth and added the photos. I then started adding texture and some color to the brick wall part of the painting - this time with a brush and many layers. The smaller version I did most of the texture with my hot pens. The fourth pic shows off some of the texture.
   After adding some colors and more texture to the wall, I then started work with my hot pen - mostly with a fine tip ( like an old fountain pen to write with only heated). I carved in the bricks an added paint back into the lines and then used the hot pen to do the containers on the window seal, the window and finally many layers to make the thatched roof. 
   I plan for this painting to be in a show starting next week and then after that will be up in my Etsy shop.
   Have a great weekend!!!
       Tera










 

No comments: