Monday, July 5, 2021

Family History

Hallo,

   Another encaustic collage painting for you today.  I like this one but it was a bit of a struggle!! I am not all that good at collage - always seems to get too cluttered and then when I try to paint over things to reduce the clutter and add focus it just seem to go blah on me, but this one went a bit better.

   The first 3 photos are the finished painting. The last 2 photos are in progress. That last photo was a big sticking point for me as that dark bottom right hand corner was too dark and distracting and the painting didn't feel cohesive...

  I was reluctant to paint over things and didn't want to use white - too stark - or ivory - would blend in with the vines too much - or the turquoise blue - too much blue. The gold oil stick I have is almost too bright and would have been distracting too and it was more opaque and I didn't want to wipe out what was below completely.....so I tried the gold gilders paste figuring I could always go over it, but it was just the thing to tone down the dark spot under the vine and to tone down the tiny spot of flower paper next to it that didn't quite fit either.

     I finished off the edges with gold acrylic paint which looks really cool in real life!!

   All for today - Take Care

       Tera





 

No comments: