Thursday, November 18, 2010

Kitchen challenge


Hallo,

I have a challenge for you - Do you love your kitchen? Or are you feeling the need for change....

I being a challenge junkie (mostly with rubber stamping but I guess the fever is spreading...) So I decided to take on the challenge of refinishing my kitchen cabinets (and then repainting the kitchen, hall, laundry room and the bathroom off the hall...)

So I will start you with the before pics....gray cabinets that I have never really liked, and did some stamping on with acrylic paint a few years ago, and a light yellow paint with goldish yellow trim that I also did a few years ago - about 5 or 6 years ago I think.




Here is the kitchen with the cabinets down and then the cabinets in the garage....every day I would haul them out to the driveway to work on them and then haul them back in again....
I didnot get any pics of how they looked sanded - my hands vibrated for 2 days after I was done sanding it took so long - I swear....
And by the time I was staining I was too pooped to take pics....
I took a week and 1/2 off work to do this project and barely got it soreta done - got the staining and the painting done but then had to have DH hang the cabinets and its taken me over a week to get the kitchen put back together.....
Still have some cleaning to do - from all the dust from sanding....
The last 3 pics are of my 'new' kitchen. I stained the cabinets dark walnut - not a perfect job, if you had a close up there are a couple spots where the stain didn't take as well....
The new paint is a light brownish tan and a darker brown trim - the tan was a bvit darker than I had envisioned but I like it, the darker brown is just the color of chocolate....
All in all I like how it turned out but I can tell you right now that I will NEVER - NEVER, NEVER, NEVER refinish all the cabinets again!!!! I will work extra and buy new cabinets or just put up with the old stuff. NEVER!!!!!
Although I do have to admit I plan to refinish my microwave table and the backers rack too so everything matches but not for awhile....not until after Christmas at least.
All for now
Tera


















































1 comment:

Auntie Em said...

Wow, when you change things up, you really change them! They look so rich and elegant! A lot of work but totally worth it when it's done.
Thank you for sharing! :o)